A very cool reception for the first day of techfest Light+Building in Frankfurt today.
Initial impression of offers are:
1. Focus on Human Centric lighting by most lighting companies - great idea and appears to make sense but little scientific proof of benefits so far.
2. Major lighting companies want to own clients by providing lighting as a service - this has potential to change how projects are delivered and maintained.
3. Chinese lighting technology providers are becoming more sophisticated with less focus on price and more on benefits such as flexibility or design.
4. European manufacturers are still the clear leaders in design and quality - if you can afford it.
5. Coloured light for effect, rendering or wellness is evident across the show - color is the new white.
The big industry news of day one was the announcement from the worlds largest lighting manufacturer of a new name - Philips will now be called Signify. Much discussion by their competitors about how its pronounced.
Looking forward to five more days of learning and discovery in Frankfurt.....without snow.
UPDATE: 15 March 2018
One week after the techfest that was Frankfurt Light & Building 2018 and we’re still sorting thoughts on the 2700 exhibitors offerings, the trends and technology.
One simple object that stood out was the Classic light forms from Louis Poulsen fitted with new tech.
A big thanks to ERCO, Ligman, Aurora, Philips, Zumtobel, Ledvance, Lumiled, casambi, Wiz, Xicato, Lucent, Intralux, Sammode, Performance in Lighting and IGuzzini for sharing their thoughts and plans for 2018 and beyond. Exciting times as innovation seeks to win over lowest price and copyists.